Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Defense/Security Clearance
Loading some great jobs for you...
Serve at the forefront of national security by analyzing top-secret information and interpreting spy reports. Direct the analysis of top-secret satellite imagery. Be the first to ascertain the implications of the latest intelligence. Use keen analytical abilities to perceive patterns in Internet chatter. Intelligence Officers serve as a key part of the Information Dominance Corps as they:
* Supervise the collection, analysis and dissemination of critical information
* Participate in reconnaissance missions
* Provide intelligence support to US Naval forces and multinational military forces
* Advise executive-level decision makers in US government
* Lead Enlisted personnel in gathering and analyzing mission-sensitive intelligence
* Conduct analysis of the inner workings of adversaries and develop unmatched intelligence of the battlespace during wartime
As an Intelligence Officer, you will take on a wide variety of assignments, each one essential in its related mission or objective. This role may include:
* Leading the planning, development, testing and deployment of information systems crucial to the intelligence process
* Monitoring and analyzing maritime activities that pose a threat to national security, such as drug smuggling, illegal immigration, arms transfers, environmental mishaps and violations of UN sanctions
* Delivering near-real-time operational intelligence assessment to high-level decision makers
* Planning intelligence operations and managing intelligence programs
* Enabling the collection of human intelligence
* Leading teams of Enlisted experts who identify enemy targets for US or coalition forces
* Overseeing the work of Intelligence Specialists - Enlisted Sailors (no degree required) who help convert information into intelligence
Depending on interests, background and performance, Intelligence Officers have opportunities to serve worldwide:
* Aboard ships
* On bases and installations
* In assignments at Joint Intelligence Centers
TRAINING & ADVANCEMENT
Those pursuing an Intelligence Officer position are required to attend Officer Candidate School (OCS) in Newport, R.I. Upon completion, they attend a five-month basic course of instruction at the Navy and Marine Corps Intelligence Training Center in Dam Neck, Va., where they receive training in: electronic, anti-submarine, anti-surface, anti-air, amphibious and strike warfare; counterintelligence; strategic intelligence; air defense analysis; and combat mission planning.
From there, INTEL Officers embark on a 30-month operational fleet tour. This is typically an assignment with an aviation squadron, with an air wing staff or on board an aircraft carrier or amphibious command ship. Promotion opportunities are regularly available but competitive and based on performance. It's also important to note that specialized training received and work experience gained in the course of service can lead to valuable credentialing and occupational opportunities in related fields.
Beyond professional credentials and certifications, Intelligence Officers can advance their education by:
* Pursuing opportunities at institutions such as Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) or Navy War College (NWC)
* Completing Joint Professional Military Education (JPME) at one of the various service colleges
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
A four-year degree from a regionally accredited institution is required to work as an Intelligence Officer. It is preferred that the degree focuses on areas of study such as: international relations, political science, government, engineering, physical science, natural science, computer science, or other academic fields related to intelligence.
All candidates must also be: US citizens; willing to serve worldwide; and eligible for a special intelligence security clearance.
General qualifications may vary depending upon whether you're currently serving, whether you've served before or whether you've never served before.
Associated topics: security clearance, security investigation, single scope background investigation, ssbi, top secret, ts
Loading some great jobs for you...