Senior Ranger- Parks
Compensation: $33,550.00 - $52,670.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Hospitality - Lodging/Resort/Travel
Loading some great jobs for you...
Perform unskilled and semi-skilled work in supervising crews of youth employed in the Junior Park Ranger Program.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, self-starter who can lead small groups in the daily preparations of the Lafayette Parks. Since this position requires the Senior Ranger to lead groups of Junior Rangers their attendance to work is extremely important to the success of the program. Candidates requiring very little to no days off during the Junior Ranger season (May 26- mid August) will be strongly preferred.
This position works Monday through Friday 6 am to 2:30 pm. A candidate who can lead a Sunday, July 5 morning cleanup is highly preferred.
The following duties are illustrative only and are not intended to be all inclusive:
* Prepare a weekly work schedule for the ranger crew.
* Transport junior park rangers from a specified location to the appropriate job site and return them to their original pick-up site at the end of their work-day.
* Supervise and assist the junior rangers in 1) daily trash clean-up of each City park and some designated open space areas, 2) daily sanitation and cleaning of the public restrooms, 3) emptying trash cans, and 4) cutting and pulling weeds in park areas, open space areas, and flower/shrub beds.
* Evaluate each junior ranger's performance during and after his/her work session.
* Assist in the evaluation of the Junior Park Ranger Program, including written recommendations for improving the program.
* Ensure the proper maintenance and cleaning of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use.
* Perform routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and refer defects or needed repairs to appropriate person.
* Perform all duties conforming to appropriate safety and security standards.
* Take proper safety precautions, anticipate unsafe circumstances, and act accordingly to prevent accidents.Use all required safety equipment.
* Perform related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE: Basic knowledge of the City of Lafayette park system. Basic knowledge of Lafayette park maintenance procedures. Basic knowledge of good safety practices.
SKILL: Skill in operation of a pick-up truck as required by the position.
ABILITY: Ability to perform manual labor; operate the equipment and tools required by the position; work from broad direction with limited supervision; supervise a junior park ranger crew; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public; work well with varied and demanding people; work well with people from culturally diverse backgrounds; communicate clearly and concisely in English, verbally and in writing; understand and follow written and oral instructions and procedures; organize activities in order to complete tasks in accordance with priorities, address multiple demands, or meet deadlines; organize tasks and working environment to maximize efficiency; focus attention on tasks, which may be complex, routine, or repetitive, without losing concentration or becoming distracted by external activities; adapt to interruptions, equipment failures, unusual demands, or changing priorities; employ and enforce safety practices and procedures; establish effective work schedules; and work a variety of hours.
Must be at least 21 years of age. Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license and safe driving record for continued employment. New hires must, as a condition of employment, pass the following pre-offer and post-offer/hire processes: oral board, reference checks, driving record check through DMV, arrest record check and any other background investigation that we deem necessary.
Associated topics: capitol, coordinator, discovery, farm, field, leader, seasonal, trip, trolley, wheeler
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...