263709 NIT FedNow: Senior Network Engineer - Firewall
The mission of the Federal Reserve System is to foster the stability, integrity, and efficiency of the nation’s monetary, financial, and payments systems to promote optimal economic performance. Within this broad context the vital mission of the National IT Services is to deliver superior value to our customers through world-class IT services and solutions that are responsive to business needs, adaptive to change, and essential to the mission of the Federal Reserve System.
The Federal Reserve is developing a new interbank 24x7x365 real-time gross settlement (RTGS) service with integrated clearing functionality, called the FedNow service. This service will help enable financial institutions provide their customers with the ability to send and receive payments any time, any day, and have full access to those funds within seconds. This position is a unique opportunity to be part of a new mission-critical Federal Reserve initiative that will be transformative to the payments landscape in the United States.
Support critical business area applications and customers and perform advanced troubleshooting of customer and infrastructure issues. Assess testing requirements and prepares testing strategies, as well as preparing implementation and transition plans. Senior level position requires a seasoned professional with a full understanding of industry practices. Requires high level of experience and proficiency in field. The potential candidate is expected to understand and demonstrate detailed knowledge of the TCP/IP protocols, Switching and Routing and advanced firewall policies and mechanisms. The candidate should also be familiar with change management processes and policies within enterprise level systems.
This position will also require the engineer to work with technical and non-technical customers to understand requirements and translate those expectations into network configurations.
*Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Performs resolution of complex hardware, environmental software operating systems and subsystems. Oversees problem avoidance actions.
2) Analyzes and revises existing system logic and documentation as necessary.
3) May authorize risk level changes and recommend solutions to minimize and/or prevent system interruption.
4) Performs change and problem management using standard tools. Ensures conformance and compliance with existing system standards. Measures performance to ensure proper operation.
5) May leads highly technical/complex infrastructure support projects utilizing FRIT/System staff and resources, working on multiple tasks / projects at once. The environment is fast paced with short deadlines.
6) Follows and ensures adherence to technical standards for programming and design techniques. Trains System technical staff on use of software/hardware tools in accordance with required standards and procedures.
7) Monitors compliance with internal audit requirements and Information Security Manual guidelines.
8) The ability to document, explain and implement changes in an enterprise environment.
9) Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge: Comprehensive knowledge pertaining to concepts and principles in functional area. General knowledge of department/business lines, Reserve Banks, and / or System operations, policies, procedures and technologies. Ability to work on multiple tasks / projects at once in a collaborative team environment.
Communications: Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, creativity, attention to detail, and oral and written communications skills tailored for the intended audience.
Risk Management: Responsible for understanding and applying risk management discipline in decision making, and contributing to his or her function’s risk management.
Decision Making: Experience and knowledge to identify required work and execute independently with little to no guidance to attain objectives. Makes decisions within established or widely accepted standards. Achieves assigned/planned results by decisions and actions based on professional methods, training, business principles, and practical experience.
• Extensive experience with Firewalls including Juniper / Palo Alto / Cisco Firepower
• 4+ years of firewall experience
• Advanced understanding of routing / switching technologies with a preference of Cisco products:
• 4+ years of router / switch experience utilizing WAN MPLS technologies with strong experience with BGP & OSPF routing protocols.
• Familiar with hybrid datacenter deployments including AWS, Azure, and Interconnect technologies.
• Exceptional understanding of networking concepts and best practices; ability to provide network knowledge and guidance to other groups who require help;
• Strong understanding of network design, implementation and network troubleshooting;
• Strong understanding and ability to follow Change Control procedures as it pertains to ITIL;
• Good understanding network security and ability to identify and assess threats / risks to the network;
• Ability to perform and be a part of a weekly on-call rotation;
• Ability to use enterprise network management platforms to identify root cause of highly visible problems in a fast pace environment.
• Ability to create and present technical documentation to operational staff
Working Conditions: Will require the use of standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, etc
Physical Demands: Requires some degree of sitting (for prolonged periods of time), standing, lifting carrying, pushing, pulling more than 20 lbs.
Hours of Work: Ability to perform and be a part of a weekly on-call rotation. May require extended work hours. Occasional travel including overnight stays may be necessary. May be subject to on-call and call back as needed. May be exposed to moderate noise from equipment.
This position requires U.S. Citizenship
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience with 6 to 9+ years of relevant work experience.
*Denotes essential duties and/or any physical requirements required to perform essential duties for the role.Candidate should review the FRB Employee Code of Conduct to ensure compliance with issues related to previous employment and prohibited financial interests. The Code is available on the About Us, Careers webpage at
The Federal Reserve Bank is committed to a diverse workforce and to providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, or military service.
Launch your career - Create your profile now!Create your Profile
Loading some great jobs for you...